Thursday 5 June 2014

Mark Schwarzer confirms he'll stay at Chelsea

Schwarzer appeared for Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final. (©GettyImages)
Chelsea's back-up keeper, Mark Schwarzer, has confirmed that Jose Mourinho wants him to stay on at Stamford Bridge for another season, despite his name appearing on the club's released list.
The Australian signed for Chelsea on a one year deal last season after his contract ended with local rivals Fulham, but now looks set to stay on for another year.
The 41-year-old has confirmed: “I've had messages from the boss, he's very keen for me to re-sign with the club.”
“That's all I really need to know, that he wants to keep me at the club and I'll leave the rest up to the powers-that-be to sort it all out,”
“I'm confident it'll be sorted out in the next week or two.”
Despite only playing a handful of games for the Blues last season, the experienced keeper is keen to stay on at a top level club for as long as he can, due to the incomparable experiences that it provides.
He said “I still want to stay in Europe as long as possible. If I have the chance to stay at a club like Chelsea, I'd love to do so because it's an unbelievable experience.”
“I had opportunities to play in the Champions League semi-final and vie for the title – and that's something invaluable and something I hadn't experienced before.”
The news all but confirms that both the reigning Petr Cech and youngster Thibaut Courtois will not both stay at Stamford Bridge next term, with Cech likely to be sold or Courtois loaned out for another season.

No comments:

Post a Comment